Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Unusual Sunrise over the Sierra Nevada Today

Sometimes there are just unusual things. I was driving into work early this morning just before the sun broke out over the Sierra Nevada. From my vantage point on the floor of the Great Valley, the rays of the sun were casting shadows on some of the smoke from the horrific wildfires that have afflicted our state in the past few weeks. The sight stopped me in my tracks. The ridge line looks out of focus, but it's not.

The mountains in the picture are probably right about the latitude of Mt. Hoffman and and the Sierra Crest above Tuolumne Meadows. It's a strange and beautiful sight brought about by tragic fires. I'd rather have the homes and forests back. More than 450 square miles have burned in the Sierra and Coast Ranges in the last few weeks.

No comments: